Other Agencies with Responsibility for Asbestos

Office of Public Works

The Office of Public Works coordinates the management of asbestos in State properties generally, excluding schools. Queries relating to asbestos in State properties can be directed to Health & Safety Services at OPW HQ in Trim, Co. Meath. Queries relating to asbestos in schools can be directed to Schools' Boards of Management or to Department of Education & Skills in Tullamore, Co. Offaly.

Environmental Protection Agency

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) deals with the licensing of storage of hazardous waste, including asbestos. Any company or local authority that stores asbestos waste must be licensed.

Local Authorities

Local Authorities are responsible for investigating any incidents of air and water pollution in their areas, for example, the incorrect disposal of asbestos and can prosecute any infringements of the Air Pollution Act, 1987 and the Local Government (Water Pollution) Act, 1977.

If you have asbestos waste that you need to dispose of, you should contact your local authority to see if the landfill site will accept the waste. You can also contact one of the private companies that are licensed by the EPA to store hazardous waste prior to disposal.