A formal notification must be made to the Authority if an operator exceeds, or can anticipate exceeding, the thresholds set out in Schedule 1 of the regulations.
The information to be put in the notification is set out in Regulation 8. Notifications will only be accepted by the Authority using the electronic notification form. A guidance document to assist in completing the notification form has been prepared and both it and the form are available to download below.
Electronic Notification Form
Guide to Completing the Notification Form
A sample electronic notification form is available here
The notification submission timelines are set out in the Guide to the COMAH Regs 2015.
An operator must inform the Authority in writing in advance of the following events:
- any significant increase or decrease in the quantity or significant change in the nature or physical form of the dangerous substance present, or any significant change in the processes employing it
- the modification of an establishment or an installation which could have significant repercussions on major accident hazards
- permanent closure of the establishment or its decommissioning
- changes in information relating to:
- the name or trade name of the operator
- the full address of the establishment
- the registered place of business of the operator or the full address
- the name or position of the person in charge of the establishment
In addition, a notification update is required to be submitted every five years from the date of the first notification under the 2015 COMAH Regulation, irrespective of any updated notifications submitted to the Authority in the intervening time period.
Timelines for submission of COMAH documentation
Accident / Incident Notification
See Reporting COMAH Accidents page.
Submission completed, thank you!