Analysts and Laboratories
An Asbestos Analyst carries out air monitoring ( sampling), fibre counting and provides a site clearance certificate for reoccupation.
· Qualifications for example, BOHS P403 (air sampling), BOHS P404 (Clearance), RSPH Certificate for Asbestos Analysts
· Thorough knowledge of relevant Irish legislation
· Access to Laboratory which performs satisfactorily in RICE Scheme (see below)
· Maintains quality assurance and control procedures that conform with internationally recognised standards for asbestos analytical and inspection activities.
Please refer to Section 13 of the HSA Guidance Document.
A person is deemed to be a competent person where, having regard to the task he or she is required to perform and taking account of the size or hazards (or both of them) of the undertaking or establishment in which he or she undertakes work, the person possesses sufficient training, experience and knowledge appropriate to the nature of the work to be undertaken.
Organizations providing training to Asbestos Consultants
The AtaC (Asbestos Testing and Consultancy Association) and BOHS (British Occupational Hygiene Society) both offer professional courses leading to awards in:
- Asbestos surveying (inspection, sampling, bulk analysis)
- Asbestos air monitoring and clearance (air sampling, fibre counting and 4 stage clearances).
Regular Inter-laboratory Counting Exchange (RICE)
The Health and Safety Authority require all laboratories who carry out asbestos fibre counting to participate satisfactorily in the RICE proficiency testing (PT) scheme administered by the Health and Safety Laboratory in the U.K. Participation in an independent proficiency- testing scheme plays an essential part in a laboratory’s quality control system. Performance reports for those Republic of Ireland (ROI) laboratories participating in the RICE PT scheme can be downloaded from the Health and Safety Laboratory website (Current ROI Laboratory Classification Report).
Please refer to Section 13 of the HSA Guidance Document
Submission completed, thank you!